unlimited

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Beebe Lake

One of the greatest things about Cornell, I must say , is Beebe lake. I don't exercise much, but two out of three times I do it's a jog around the lake. Getting out and getting fit is good; watching the sun set above the lake and the woods is icing, sweet icing.

Imagine, the lake rippling silently to the right, with geese bobbing upon its surface. The orange light of the evening peers over the bridges past the waterfall, and colors the trees so you can't tell which ones have already put on their autumn dresses. Bees buzz around pollinating the last of the flowers If you look carefully you'll see a squirrel every few meters. If you're lucky you'll see a rare chipmunk. Chipmunks are smaller, cuter (they've got two black lines running down their furry backs), and dart about faster.

The gravel path meanders up and down as it follows the contours of the lake, running between tall trees and patches of tall grasses that only reach to the knees. The path runs over a stone bridge where the water comes in and a modern, steel bridge where the water leaves, over the falls. It runs up simple oaken stairs and down again, past lonely cabins uninhabited.

It truly is an amazing sight. For those who knows, think Bukit Kiara, but bigger. Colder (now, anyway). More nature. It makes me want to jog so much more.

The most beautiful sight of all, however, I have saved for last: When the air is right, and the evening is clear, and Lady luck smiles upon you, where meets the mist from the falls and last rays of day you may see a rainbow, glistening and sparkling and dancing in the spray above the crashing waters. Long I stood yesterday when I beheld that sight, a sight indeed! Time lost its meaning, I did not want to leave. The bridge rocked gently beneath my feet as entranced stood I.

No camera could do it justice, so I was fortunate to have forgotten it, and more receptive thus to the beauty that is Beebe Lake.

(And now, back to enjoying the measly 4 days including the weekend of Fall Break alone in my room. So few people are around! Next post: what my friends did for me =)

-->

Shoutbox



previously

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?