Or, Rant about Ultimate (the sport).The spirit of the game it's an all-important Ultimate concept. However, I worry that many Malaysian players don't get it. Even those that aren't overtly aggressive on the field tend to understate it's importance. The fact is, things are getting rather ugly with Malaysian Ultimate. It seems that the spirit of the game is more about being chummy with everyone and hanging out together a lot, perhaps for a beer or two (with exceptions for the college kids, of course).
But it's more than that. First and foremost, it's about respect. If you don't have the utmost respect for the other players, then there can be little progress to be made. I think there's very little mutual listening and understanding going on. Debate is escalating on the previous tourney, about how well the SotG aspect was emphasised. The winners of the spirit award were given inflatables. Which, while admittedly fun in a silly way, does convey the unintentional message that, "This is a joke, guys. Don't take it too seriously, like these ugly inflatable bear things. The real prize are these hampers, sponsored by Astro (or something like that)."
After all, and secondly, SotG is about fair play. That's why it's important. No quarter should be given to those playing rough and violently. Reckless endangerment. There are all sorts of principles in the game, like verticality, the right to the air above you.
The lack of worry about the SotG is the most troubling, I think. It's a key concept, and no one's giving it serious debate, and giving responses that indicate lack of considered thought.
Which is, in fact, a problem with our country, if not the world. Considered thought is not letting emotions do the thinking, it is weighing facts in the balance, it is assessing all available information. Wisdom, after all, is
holding strong opinions weakly. "As long as you realize that the map is not the territory, and that
someone else may have a better map than you do, you'll do fine." (quote from another blog's post about said article).
It was just this week that the PM said, no more interfaith discussions, referring to the sort they've been having lately concerning Muslim-nonMuslim relations, in terms of apostasy and right of the children in a mixed marriage and that sort of thing. They're clamping down on speech on blogs, too =X. Fortunately I'll be 1000s of km away for a few years =).
Personally, I don't like the thought of suppressing free speech. Nasty stuff, gets in the way of progress. On the other hand, that's assuming that free speech leads to better ideas and solutions. That's only true if strong opinions are weakly held. Which isn't true. Politicians especially, and religionists (as opposed to the religious who try to get along with everyone) as well, tend to hold strong opinions strongly around here. It's annoying, because it's impossible to argue with people who's minds are immovable. People are idiots, even those who think they aren't. Especially those who refuse to even
think they may be.
I personally am a stubborn jackass. I make no secret of it. I tend to get emotionally attached to my ideas, in the sense that I get cranky when my ideas aren't even considered. I want people to give my ideas as much debate as much as I give there's. At least, I hope give others a fair hearing. I think I do. Who knows?
At any rate, I suppose I could start by being less stubborn =). I need to be more easy going. Laid back. People should relax more, though not at the expense of others.