I had a barbecue tonight and invited some friends over, ones that are still around anyway. Many have already gone, and within a few days I'll be, too. It was great having this opportunity to be with the people who've shaped the last couple of years (and some, more) of my life, people who I am proud to call friends.
I'm kinda pleased with the way things turned out, because I'm not too good running this sort of thing. Too many things were happening and I couldn't concentrate on doing any of them well. There were all sorts of tiny crises as well, like not having tongs, making too hot a fire, stuff getting stuck to the grill and then pulling off the tinfoil covering it, the food taking forever to cook, etc.
The problem is, I never really understand how much people mean to me until it's time to part. Only when you realise that they will be out of your life, do you really find out how deep an influence they've had on you. Only when you pull out a tree do you realise how deep its roots grow.
Take frisbee. I went to my last Saturday session yesterday, and only after the bear hugs and pile up and the goodbyes did I see how used I've grown to playing with those guys, especially the ones who've been there since the very beginning, since we played at Astaka instead of UM varsity green. People like Siaw Chin and Carroll, both old stalwarts and all round nice guys. I kinda wish there were more Taylor's people, like the juniors, but I suppose everyone was busy. /enddigression
Old friends, however, aren't deadwood. Faraway friendships will continue to grow, so long as they are nurtured by the waters of long-distance conversation, and the fruitful soil of memories.
Mm. We hug the people that mean most to us, because we are afraid to let them go. Because we don't want to let them go. But because we are adults, we do accept it - we just need a moment to find a stronger foothold, a moment of bonding to seal away the memories from the ravages of time. Maybe we should all hug more often. I like hugs. Tangible expressions of enduring friendship, they are =)
Li Hsien, Caroline, Phang Kit, Mohan, Meng Fai, Gavin, Xue Lieh, Alex, Zhou Hau, Gabriel, Kuok Yuen - thanks for coming out tonight. It meant a lot to me.