Mornings, and even early afternoons, seem to have me feeling lousy of late. Erratic bedtimes don't help, I suppose. I spent last night watching Dead Poets' Society. I won't go into details about the storyline, because there's this amazing site, antiromatic.com, that discusses the movie very thoroughly and well.
The best part of DPS, to me, is the way it explores romanticism, and realism, two ideals that I've consciously had warring in me since time immemorial. However, the film is somewhat complex to grasp, and I must admit the message didn't immediately come through. First it seemed to advocate romanticism, as the main characters fell headlong into it, guided by their new English teacher (played by the superb Robin Williams (now why did I keep thinking Rowan Atkinson?? stupidmemorylapse)).
"Romanticism emphasized the individual, the subjective, the irrational, the imaginative, the personal, the spontaneous, the emotional, the visionary, and the transcendental." - Britannica, via antiromantic
Then, the film showed the problems with romanticism, in the troubles suffered by characters as a result of such a philosophy. It seemed to be proposing that romanticism
wasn't a good thing... Realism, then?
Realism's emphasis on detachment, objectivity, and accurate observation, its lucid but restrained criticism of social environment and mores, and the humane understanding that underlay its moral judgments...
The message then, is more of a balance. The site antiromantic takes its name from anti-romantic romanticist, which the author of the site made up. It's awkward, and I prefer... fully human =).
I cycled today, cycled really far and long. To those who know what I'm talking about, it was from my place to Bandar Utama, past 1U and into the neighbourhoods. Must have been close to two hours I pedalled on and on... (in retrospect, I should've started out at 6pm, not 5pm, because it was so hot -.-; )
It was kinda cathartic, though not doing at home for days on end mostly covered that base. I enjoyed myself a lot, enjoyed the mild exertion and the feel of the wind and not least of all, looking out for well-designed houses. Always a joy to behold =).
Cycling through various parks, though, made me realise how there's very little park culture in this country. Those that go to neighbourhood parks with their kids are probably the poorer lot, for reasons such as (a) it's free entertainment that doesn't involve TV or a Playstation or driving anywhere; (b) middle-class housewives tend to be a busy lot, supervising the maid and driving the kids to tuition all the time and watching soaps, etc.; while dads tend to be rather self-absorbed; and (c) local parks in general are no great shakes, either, they rank low on satisfaction, greenery, and parky stuff like that.
It's a real shame, though. Parks are where communities are made, especially if kids are involved. Little kids are naturally drawn to each other, it's a fundamental force like gravity or something. And when kids start playing with each other, the people who brought them start talking. "So which one's your kid?" and boom! Instant connection. Before you know you're going to some neighbour's tyke's party every other weekend. Plus, before long a de facto rotation comes into play - this week you take all the kids, next week I'll look after them, and all that.
Without kids, it gets a little harder, and my theory starts leaking like a sieve. Still, the potential for getting to know your neighbours is there, whereas when everyone's indoors all the time, it's nigh impossible to get to know anyone.
When I grow up... I want to live where there are great parks, and great neighbours. ttDi has the park thing covered =), but neighbours? I dunno... I suppose I don't do much to encourage much community either.
And going off on a tangent, the girl of my dreams is one who can appreciate the splendour of nature, who enjoys the languor of long lazy evening cycle. Besides being able to be a realist when it matters, of course. One who is fully human =) See, this is a problem I've had... girls tend to fall to the romantic extreme (guys too, but the expression of it is largely different). Dime a dozen, I'd say. Hard to find one who understands the value of intelligence and shows willingness to think and learn. Harder yet to find one who balances both.
See, I tend to fall in the middle of all extremes, between a dreamy floating through life kind of romanticism and the hedonistic kind; and between romanticism and realism. Explains why I get along with many different people, but not exceedingly well with any particular group.
Still... I wonder, how well do I balance the two? Hmm. I try my best, at least =).