unlimited

Thursday, May 04, 2006

phone and watch, feat. rain

I love me my Nokia phone, cheap inferior good though it may be. After all, I came thisclose
to losing it today. My watch, too.

It was like this: I discovered the absence of my phone about
an hour after I got home from college, and had the presence of mind to realise, after repeated searches, that it was probably somewhere outside. It wasn't in the house, and I was fairly confident I'd not left it on the bus. Grumbling inwardly I retraced my steps, pelted by the last drops of the afternoon's rain.

I'd gone about halfway, and despaired of finding my phone, when I saw a black lump. Out of sheer curiosity I walked closer... Only to discover it was my watch, wet from the rain and road! Shocking, since I hitherto hadn't realised it was missing. Still, no sight of my phone. Almost turned back, but I decided to walk a little further. Behold, my phone, lying forlornly on the road! Quite soaked, too, but still on and very much alive.

Reconstruction of events: After a hot, humid day, the convection storms had come in the late evening, lightly dampening the city. The collapsible umbrella stowed in my bag was a blessing indeed. It was some relief from the drizzle of a a storm. Of course, being one of those tiny collapsible umbrellas more suited to African pygmies (also, certain short brown people), it didn't do such a good job of keeping the rain off my sling bag. I pulled the bag closed to my chest and walked through puddles back to my house, silently laughing at my brother for not having an umbrella... and not realising the gods that be were having a laugh at my expense. My bag was open.

Quietly, my cellphone slipped out into the wet world with nary a parting word to me. Maybe 2 meters later my watch decided that being kept in a bag wasn't its thing either, and preferring the outdoors, plopped out to join its friend the phone. All silently, stealthily, and unbeknownst to me.

How irritating. But also, gratifying to know that my phone is about as sturdy as they get (short of those water-proof shock-proof reality-proof buggers that could probably withstand a direct nuclear bombardment in the middle of a pouring storm).

Mandatory melancholy: Played frisbee in the Taylor's carpark today, and despite a few bumps here and there (on the cars' part), it was exhilirating. The thrill of not caring what everyone thought, the memory of such endeavours last year, the devil-may-care attitude... Leaving really is going to be hard. You already knew that =b, this is just another illustration.

Cheers! =)

-->

Shoutbox



previously

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?