unlimited

Monday, April 10, 2006

the worth of learning

CNN Money has an article on the most lucrative college degrees. To the side is the accompanying table.

Two things came to mind. First: My dad really is an idiot. He's not earning even a tenth of the salary for electrical engineers. If both of my parents had the average pay listed there, not even taking into account experience, I wouldn't have any problems getting into Cornell. Whoo o.O.

Secondly, now I really really want to go to Cornell to do a double degree in Econs and Engineering ><. Econs shows great potential, and chemical engineering means good pay anyway.

I hope I get that Shell Scholarship, because even I have to work in Shell Malaysia for some time, I could always shift back once I'm done. Or, work for Shell in US.

See how life might take a good turn even here? If I miss this turning, then I suppose Economics isn't bad. Less workload, for one thing, hehe. And there'd be no bond, and 45k isn't bad I think.

Caveat: I'm not sure whether they're talking about bachelors or masters here. And, money isn't everything. So there =).

  Comments:
lol, i think the salaries are for a year, not for a month. somehow, i doubt that your father would be earning less than $5200 per year (which is like RM 20,000 or less than RM 2000 per month) ...


also, the cost of living in us is twice as high.

and u might want to try to apply for the jpa loan, which is forgiveable under certain conditions..

also, there are a ton of pluses to brandeis. it's a nice small school for one, while cornell is really very big. very. very. incredibly. really. scarily. big.

imho, i think that you'll have better academic and social experiences in brandeis. plus they are actually giving you money!
 
Okay, okay, you got me =). He's earning more than that, but not much. And his salary for last year was definitely only about 1/10th for my mom's. As we speak he's in the Netherlands with my mom hunting for a place to study philosophy. Um.

Cost of living might be 2x, but that means your savings are also 2x in actual terms, so if I ever come to Malaysia, I'll have 2x the savings, hehe.

Brandeis would be mid size, i think. Swarthmore, now that's small. Total undergrads only about 1400 or so.

A Cornell degree would carry more weight, and I' d be able to do engineering there are its two draws.

But ah, I'll do fine =)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
-->

Shoutbox



previously

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?