How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd
The world forgetting, by the world forgot... There's a subtle thread of vengeance here, one, I suppose, that we all feel at some point in our lives. But the show which takes its title from the third line goes out of its way to say that, "Hey, memories are precious too. No one can take away memory of happiness except ourselves. Forgetting because you were forgot is like burning down your house to kill a rat."
My A2 trials results are out, too... 82, 82, 72, 62. What a profusion of 2, heh. Irrelevant observation aside, Chem and Math turned out okay despite some misgivings, B for Physics, and C for Econs. For Physics, I suppose not studying one of the options cost me something =). The price of going to OBS, actually. And Econs? That plain sucked, excuse my French. I knew it did even as I wrote the exam. My mind was discombobulated and my thoughts disjointed.
A mighty pain to love it is,
And 't is a pain that pain to miss;
But of all pains, the greatest pain,
It is to love, but love in vain...
- Abraham Cowley
I seem to still be stuck fast to the rollercoaster of emotion. In my despondency of late I have been ambushed by a moment of hope: couple of letters for me today. One was Yale's rejection. The other, was from USC, long since dismissed from my mind. I wondered at the reasons for their correspondence as I slit open the letter.
To my amazement: I've received a scholarship! Whoa. So, I can now double major in Engineering and Economics. Location-wise, I do have some hesitations. I had my heart set on Boston, my one consolation for not attending a longed for uni. Now, the city of angels? I can't say I know much about it, except that it's on the San Andreas fault line. Which, you know, can't be a good thing. And the class size. It's ZOMG enormous, to the order of a couple thousand, I think. Lastly, a problem now is that it wouldn't be right transfer later to do engineering, since clearly this gives me the opportunity.
The weather in LA, at least, will be sunny year round. No snow (NO SNOW??). There are beaches, dunes, wetlands, hills, mountains, and rivers (according to wikipedia). And, I can do engineering.
More on Los Angeles: quite a massive city, very mixed population there. Has most Armenians, Cambodians, Filipinos, Guatemalans, Hungarians, Israelis, Koreans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Thais, and Vietnamese outside of their home countries. One of the largest Asian American communities, too. Entertainment capital of the world, think Hollywood etc. The university is quite close to the city center, too, which means it's sort of like the antithesis to Cornell's location.
But still, it's not a bad place to be, I think. And considering the fact that I do want to do engineering, if the Shell Scholarship doesn't come off, it's probably USC for me.
Hm. Well, there's no strong attraction, but I suppose some things just have to grow on you.
A shot of nepenthe, please.