unlimited

Friday, April 14, 2006

mmm, soup


I found this bird's nest in a bush in my garden today. Two delicate, reddish-brown eggs lay within, as I observed from my bedroom window (I didn't want to get too close). NestCam is online and I shall be tracking it's development with interest =).

It was in an awkward place, though. The bush in question is really spikey, and it's not very tall either. Two conclusions can therefore be made: (a) birds are stupid, or (b) laying eggs is fundamentally an act of optimism, because all the risk it entails.

As to that second, this quote came to mind: “To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.” (Emphasis mine)

One of those hopes was getting into a good uni with aid. Today the Stanford letter came, and I reacted stoicly again. The risk of not getting in anywhere I wanted was always very real anyway. I suppose after a while, you learn to live with that sort of risk, that sort of disappointment, because you know that the moments when you do succeed are worth every pain, every fall. The worst we can do is never try.

Besides, a lot of human wisdom can be contained in 3 words: Life goes on.

-->

Shoutbox



previously

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?