unlimited

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

epiphany

After reading up on the Chinese language on wikipedia, I've suddenly had an epiphany that I should have had many years ago. I've always resisted learning Chinese, but now I feel like I'm sort of turning my back on the whole legacy of my people. Traitor. If I could have my wasted years back... I don't think it would make any difference. I think I'd still have wound up equally antagonistic to the thought of learning.

My whole life, I've immersed myself in English, but while that's good and all, it's not my native language... it's not the language that generations upon generations of my ancestors spoke. What would they think, I wonder, if they were around to see me ditch tradition like this. Chinese is such a rich and diverse language, filled with complexity upon complexity. Being very appreciative of the history of the English language, I wonder whether I should have applied equal energy to Chinese. Or at least, strive to apply to it from now on.

Because, you know, I can learn all I like about English, or European and American history, but it doesn't change the fact of who I am: a Chinese.

-->

Shoutbox



previously

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?