unlimited

Thursday, November 17, 2005

magic, magic, magic

Three magics. There were three magics today.

First, is the Harry Potter kind of magic. I watched Goblet of Fire today with my entire class (save one). Good way to relax after the whole AS exam thing. I mean, besides the other 3 movies (Sky High, Zorro 2, Chicken Little) I watched in the exam period. The special effects were especially nice, although the scenes felt too short. Sort of like empty promises. For example, the quidditch tournament takes place in this amazingly tall stadium that seems largely a stack of balconies. But you don't actually see the tournament, the scene ends when it begins, if you catch my drift. Some parts seemed a bit incongruous (Dumbledore, most powerful wizard, walks around in what appears to be pajamas??), the acting not that terrific, but it was a good show, worth a watch.

Next, real world magic. As close as we can get, anyway. Prestidigitation, sleigh of hand, etc. There was this guy, friend of some friends, who came over and showed us some card tricks. Not knowing how magic tricks (in general) are done annoys me. The urge to believe that maybe there's some devilish, otherworldly thing about it is tempting, but too easy. There's probably some logical explanation. I was thinking about it, and maybe it's because (for the instance of cards) there's a card that's just that much longer, or perhaps because of some extra trick I didn't catch. I suppose learning out how it works ruins the fun somewhat, but still... I've always liked knowing things =). Or at least, being able to reason things out. My virtue and my vice, this.

The third magic is the magic that is everything. The magic 'why?' and its associates in curiosity. You know, the questions every little kid asks: Why are we alive? Why is the sun yellow? The questions get more unanswerable as they age. Why can we appreciate beauty? Why do we consider sunrises beautiful? Is God out there? All these questions, unfathomable, and limitless in their mystery, their magic. Like prestidigitation I won't understand much of it but whatever I can, will be wonder beyond compare, wonder buoying me upwards to greater wonders that I hope I shall have eternity to plumb the depths thereof.

Update: I think I may have been a bit wrong about the card trick, I've been googling and it doesn't seem so simple, actually. Also, when it comes down to it, magic isn't some form of fantastic power, nor cheap gimmicky effects (mix one part of this in though), but rather a very dextrous show of skill and concentration, on the magicians' part. It's always real masters of an art that make it seem so effortless and simple. Musicians are another good example. So I like to know how tricks work. It doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the art and effort put into it =). Playing the piano is basically just moving your fingers in the right order quick enough, but that's just looking at it simply.


-------------------------
Ehh, anyway, my exams are over! Time to do everything I've dreamed of doing! Time to change the world! ...

Well, maybe a little later, though I'm running out of tomorrows around here. I forsee too much time on the net, guitar practise, daydreaming, reading, and, in order of possibility, coding, writing, maybe magic (rather fun, haha). World changing things, um... Can't think of much. I suppose making sure the A-Level mag gets out okay is somewhat significant, since based on the fact that I've not received any kind of order, and the deadline's for publisher submission is pretty soon, we're goners. Why don't I ever find hordes of responsible people? *sigh* I suppose not being one myself is a problem.

Somehow I'll get through days, avoiding all uplifting events like water passes around a rock.

I am formless as water.

(Though spineless would make a better metaphor)

-->

Shoutbox



previously

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?