The orientation for the A levels students was held at Taylor's today... It was somewhat tiring (I've got a headache now, though that might've been because I wore my hard contact lenses for close to 10 hours >_< )
The whole thing sounded somewhat arrogant to me... all the speeches that made it sound as though I really wanted to be there, and that Taylor's is such a big great important highly-sought-after place to study. Bah. Only reason I'm there is because I didn't get the Uplands scholarship (ironically, one of the two who got it declined the offer and came to Taylor's instead. grumblegrumble).
Yannow, when I was in secondary school, college seemed to mean more liberty. No dress code, no strict banned items list... But really, it's only trading one set of boundaries for another. People don't change, as in, there are still obnoxious lecturers. Now, they've just got more freedom to express that. We might not have a uniform per se, but there's still a dress code (though it's demeaning that they have to make acceptable taste a rule) of sorts, and furthermore there's the student ID that has to be worn at all times =/. Trading boundaries.
I guess the key is to not expect it to be any different from school... just school that is longer (ends at 2 most days, except Tuesdays (4pm!!) and Friday (1pm =), there are less breaks, the classrooms have a claustrophobic feel (small... no window worth mentioning...), there's generally less order and structure to the whole system, and there's a student council (which appears to be very lame...). The syllabus looks tough, but hey, it does every year.
Right now, I forsee a year of sleepiness and stuff... school might not have been wonderful, but at least it was predictable. This is the unknown, and it's not friendly looking unknown-ness, it's grim and bares it teeth at me.
Oh well. "He conquers who endures."